Monday, March 10, 2008

Eclectic Mindscape - My First Solo Exhibition



I had my 1st solo exhibition from June 3, 2007 - June 30, 2007 at the Ghara Seni Tanjung Art Gallery and it was officiated and opened by Y.T.M. Tunku Dato' Dr Ismail Jewa D.S.D.K., P.K.T., P.K., P.P.A. Vice President of Penang Heritage Trust. My appreciation and heartiest 'Thank You' to Tunku for graciously agreeing to open this exhibition.

After paying my dues to society and family as a wife and mother, I went back on the creative track again. PLAY was the key word to describe my style. I shun away from realistic renditions because to me they were too full of disciplines, restrictions and expectations. I am passionate about colour first, then the design and finally the incidental 'just put it in' element in my work. No stories, no meanings, just sheer creative colourful fun. Finding titles was really an unwanted necessity. Inspiration was from nowhere and everything. I went through phases of heightened imagery in a somewhat trance-like state, then the Esther 'just wants to have fun' kicks in. Some works have a more intentional design to them as these were originally done to adorn my home.

If there was such a thing as creative evolution, I want to experience it in my future works. Simply put, I love the power of being creative.

Being a Penang Eurasian with a really mixed up 'rojak' parentage there was no concrete symbol to identify my Eurasian heritage except for the use of the western attire and food we eat thus I borrowed the rich heritage from the other races especially the Malay, Chinese and the Indian festival colours. I do have a soft spot for the Wayang Kulit - a disappearing heritage art form, One of my first ever paintings proper is a portrayal of the Wayang Kulit done in 1980. I also love the Chinese concept of Feng Shui and used it in some of my works.

Eclectic Mindscape takes you through my creative works from the early 1980's to 2007. I am a very strong advocate for the "Play Theory" in art. I love colour, experimentation, change and design. What is my style.....? I have no style, I just want to have fun. I'm a rebel refusing to 'kowtow' to traditionalist rules and regulations from the art fraternity on how a piece of artwork must be done or viewed. I love going through the process of creative evolution. I look forward to experimentation. I love the anticipation of the results and believe me, I have murdered a couple of art pieces because the end result was disastrous. Creativity gives me a sense of power and achievement. My paintings are the crystallization of my being in life. Inspiration is from everywhere and from everything. My artwork is an ongoing learning experience. Art now plays a major part in my life. Before that the demands of family life took priority.

This Eclectic presentation of abstract and semi abstract paintings can easily enhance your home or office.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i would love to buy the art like "violet". its sold already. i wish to see more of these paintings.

Esther Gerardine Reutens said...

Thank you and appreciate your comment. Happy to know that you like 'Violet'.